Sunday, February 20, 2011

Painting to print

I painted this about two years ago.  It's not a flat painting, the roof and the shelf stick out the furthest, about 3".  The house shape has sides that are about 2" wide, so that floats in front of the background.  The wing is ceramic painted with acrylic paint.  The rest of the piece is constructed from foam core and wrapped in paper.  It's a way I like to work because it's lightweight and easy to alter.  I call this piece "heavy wing".  I don't really like to assign meaning to my paintings as I make them, but someone remarked that it was the saddest painting they had every seen.  At first I was taken aback, but then I realized it is kind of sad.  That wing is really heavy.  In retrospect, I think it expresses the burden I was feeling at the time my mother was dying and my father was becoming more lost to Alzheimer's.

A year or two later I was trying a linoleum reduction print.  That is where you carve away at the plate, print it in one color, carve some more, print over the first with another color and keep carving and printing until you are done; or until there is no linoleum left.  I decided to use pretty much the same image since I had recently had a show and it was fresh in my mind.

This is one early version.  I did play around with the background colors a bit.  This one has an emerald forest quality.

I like this one a lot, but it is a reduction print and there is no going back.



This one has been carved more than the previous one, and has different background color.  It also has lousy registration.  I decided the small birds on the house (in the painting and my original sketch) would be too hard to make look good with lino cutters so I changed them from my original plan.


The last one is the same print in black and white.  It's kind of cool like this and I'm stuck trying to decide if I should continue to work on it as a black and white print or carve away major sections of it and continue to reduce the plate.

I only have a few more colored prints to experiment with, but I could paint backgrounds and print on top of them.  This would mean I have a painting that became a print and a print that is becoming a painting.





Of course the big difference besides the lack of three dimensional elements is that there is no heavy wing.  The emotional feeling of the painting has changed, but I'm not exactly sure where it is going yet.

2 comments:

  1. Emily - lovely. The very green one was like Oregon! But, I loved the feel of the black and white. You have great talent and will grow. Keep at it. I will check often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these prints. It's interesting how what's going on in our lives can transfer into our art without us being really aware of it.

    ReplyDelete