Sunday, February 13, 2011

Collograph Prints

Okay, so I haven't posted since the winter break.  I've been busy with being back at school, but mostly preoccupied with the death of a close friend.  Some days it's hard to even look at e-mail, much less write something.  I was also hung up on photoing some art work.  But, I did that this weekend, so I can put up some recent work.  I've been taking a printmaking class, which I love.  Besides carving the occasional linoleum block, I don't get much done on my own.  If only I had a printing press of my own...
A hand colored collograph.  This one titled "I wrote my name on the back of a leaf and I watched it drift away."  A lyric from a song.  It's not the best, but the color helps.
  I have done a lot of work with gloves, but mostly in clay.  I was fascinated with an image from the 19th century of a woman's kid glove printed with a tourist map of London.  How ingenious, you could walk around looking at your glove, discretely getting directions.  What else could you put on a glove?  Answers to a test?  Secrets?  Maps for the memory impaired (don't misplace those gloves!)  Anyway this is another collograph printed in burnt umber, love that color.

This is two versions of the same plate.  One in burnt umber, one in two colors.  You can see the plate is starting to collapse in the blue version.  You can clearly see the lower layers through the shape of the barn.  Now I know better when constructing a plate, unless of course I want that look.

This is my favorite, it is a double ghost.  A ghost is when you run a printed plate back through the press to pick up the leftover ink.  I used the house and the glove together.  Looks like poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment