Sunday, December 26, 2010

Dali at the High

We are in Atlanta for the Christmas holiday.  My son and I went to see the Salvador Dali exhibit at the High Museum not for any particular love of Dali, but we just wanted an outing.  The exhibit was packed and it cost $36 for the two of us to get in which is always shocking when you are used to the free museums of Washington.  Shuffling through a crowded exhibit squinting at the signs is not my favorite way to see art, but sometimes it's all you've got.
I'm always amazed at how small the "Persistence of Memory" really is (about 9" x 12").  I think almost every reproduction beyond a postcard is larger.  Some of his paintings are very large, and you've got to wonder how long it took him to make them since you can't see a single brushstroke.  I also liked the lithographs he did of Don Quixote.  They were the right combination of good drawing and expressionist splatters.  He called his technique "bullettism" because he would fire balls of paint (or probably litho crayons) from an antique musket at the litho stone.  He was fond of science, all of which he learned from reading Scientific American.  He was fascinated with nuclear physics so he would paint the Virgin Mary's assumption to heaven as a fragmented mess.  Somehow I don't think that's what science had in mind.
All in all though, I don't really like his work.  I don't know if it's because his painting is so academic that it all looks like reproductions.  Or maybe it's that he is so wildly imitated and emulated that even his own work looks derivitive.  Maybe I just don't like the compositions or the subject matter.  Half of it looks like bad album cover art and the other half looks like the work of the talented church elder.

In the end I feel like Dali himself was his best work of art, I mean look at that moustache.  He was a shameless self-promoter, he must have appeared on every magazine cover at some time in his life.  He may even have appeared on Hollywood Squares, but I'll have to research that.

So in a round about way this brings me back to why I am starting a blog.  I want a place to talk about art and show my own work, but unlike Dali, I am not a shameless self-promoter.  In fact I'm pretty much incapable of promoting myself.  For god's sake, I've needed new business cards for the last five years.   Anyway, who cares, this internal monolog has got to go somewhere.
Tommorow, I ponder Jeff Koons.

2 comments:

  1. Actually I could find no evidence of him being on Hollywood Squares, but he was on What's My Line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and all of those even a bit interested in Dali must visit Figueres and the Teatre-Museu Dali. The building is fantastic with impressions of bread all over it and the full range of his amazing career (as crazy as it was) on display. You realize what he did and what was happening in the world while he was dong it!!! And then go to Port Lligat to his house made from connecting small white huts that had formally been lived in by fishermen--then you know he was a real person!

    ReplyDelete