Sunday, June 19, 2011

Chipped China

My Brother and I have been trying to empty my parents house.  My mother passed away and my father is in an assisted living facility.  They were collectors of many things, mostly antique.  I would call them secret hoarders. For, while their house was full and cluttered, it did not appear abnormal.  But if you looked in the basement, or any cubby or, god forbid, under a bed, every space was packed.   After dividing household goods among all five of us, estate sale people didn't want to touch the remainders (not enough big stuff), so my brother Doug and I set about holding yard sales.   We did six weekends of sales and still had enough for one more sale, but our spouses were on the verge of divorcing us so we called it quits.  Now the task is getting rid of the rest.

I learned many things from this process, one being how much I really know about antiques, which is a lot.  The other I kind of knew from when I made and sold jewelry, and that is that I'm pretty good at sales.  I am also full of shit.

Another thing I learned is that people do not liked chipped things.

A friend returned (?) something she had bought because she had discovered it had a chip.  Another friend informed me that chips are bad karma.  Bad Karma?  Does this mean my parents were living with landfills of bad karma?  Does this explain their bad financial luck?  Maybe my Mom wouldn't have had cancer if she had rejected everything with a chip?

I don't think chips even registered in her perception of beauty.  My Mom would collect Quimper or Titain or Wedgewood,  or whatever, and gleefully purchase her finds.

So do you collect bad karma from keeping imperfect items or do you collect good karma for loving your china and crystal despite all of it's faults?      

No comments:

Post a Comment