Sunday, February 11, 2018

Small Domestic Miracles

The Reach
This weekend I had my first solo show since my Masters thesis show.  That show was not a very positive experience for a number of reasons.  This weekend was a whole different story.

Crushed by the Wheel, Eliza (the best title in the show)
The venue was a gallery in a concert hall at the local community college.  The curator, Mary Higgins, was supporting and helpful.  The format is three people having solo shows within the same venue, so that takes a little bit of the pressure off.   We hung the show about two weeks before the opening.  Ongoing renovations to the building delayed the opening, but it made it less stressful, because there was some space in between the hanging and the opening.  It did not feel rushed.

Trapped in this house
I was nervous the day of the show.  It was pouring rain, but not too cold.  Would anyone show up?  Would anyone care?  What if people were overly polite and obviously did not like the work?  Anyway, as the time for the opening neared, I put out snacks and blew my nose.  The guitarist arrived, as did student volunteers.  Finally people started to arrive.  My friend Hiromi, who had told me she would come early, was the second person up the stairs.  As I talked with her, more people arrived and before I knew it, we had a crowd.  People who I knew, and didn't know were complimentary and nice.  I sold a bunch of work.

Hurricane

  After packing up and tallying the sales, we went and had dinner and drinks with friends.  What a great day.  As Bill said, "My people showed up for me."

Clare Winslow, the other exhibiting artist-who made beautiful monoprints- and myself.

A Nice review by my friend Gary:

https://apothecaryshed.com/2018/02/11/small-domestic-miracles-emily-shepardsons-art/

The show runs from January 20 to March 4, 2018 at the Margaret &Joseph Fisher Art Gallery at the Rachel Schlesinger Concert Hall and Arts Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment