Monday, December 27, 2010

High Museum continued

So my favorite quote from the Dali show was posted on the wall right before the gift shop.  It was from Alice Cooper.  "I've met a lot of crazy people, but Salvador Dali was the craziest."  And that from a man who actually has been on Hollywood Squares.  The other quote was this long story by Jeff Koons describing how when he was young, he saw a book of Dali paintings and was quite impressed with it.  He found out that Dali was staying at the St. Regis in New York and wrote to him to see if he could meet him.  Dali not only replied to his letter but invited him to visit and took him to see his show.  Koons had a great time and left with the feeling that he could make a go of the whole art thing.  Which I think explains a lot about Jeff Koons.

When we finished with the show we went upstairs to look at the contemporary art.  There were some pieces we remembered from last year that I wanted to see again.  Right in the middle of the gallery was this piece.
 
My head hurt from being hit with such a large hammer.

The entire sculpture is made from aluminum, even though those flotation devices really looked like plastic pool toys.  We got as close to it as we could without getting yelled at, the guards were watching us pretty closely.  I guess everyone wants to poke that piece.  A little girl ran up and almost jumped on the platform it was hanging over.  I wanted to ask her to touch the toys because she wouldn't get in as much trouble as we would.  I'm still not convinced we weren't being duped by Koons. 

The pieces I love, among others, are an El Anatsui and an Anselm Kiefer.  Although I have to admit I'm a little disillusioned with Kiefer since seeing his name linked with Courtney Love in the New York Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment